Tuesday 21 May 2013

Unit 23 - Digital Media

Plan For Outdoor Photoshoot

Nikon D5100
50mm Lens
18-105mm Lens
Spare Batteries
Memory Cards
Tripod

I plan to take portrait photographs of a family outdoors.  I need to plan ahead what day to go on so as to get the best weather.  

I will be using a digital camera and editing and enhancing the images in Photoshop afterwards.  Depending on the weather I will adjust my white balance accordingly.  As I am outside I shall leave my ISO at 100 as there should be plenty of light.  If I end up with shadows on faces during my test shots, I will make sure to use a reflector to fill them in and also use a fill flash.

I aim to get nice close ups of the children's faces so I can really see their eyes.  I have researched online how to make the most out of the eyes on an image and enhance them to make the picture.  Composition wise, I like to fill the whole frame with so am hoping to get a few good shots like that.

As I will be outdoors and photographing moving children, I will keep my shutter speed fast above 1/60 and open my Aperture to about f2.8.


f2.8, 1/640 sec, ISO 100

I have captured in this image what I set out to do, full frame and nice eyes.  I have added an action to this image in Photoshop which adjusted some colour.

f2.8, 1/640 sec, ISO 100

Again on this one I have filled up the frame and enhanced the eyes in Photoshop.  This was originally a bigger picture but I cropped the rest out so as just to focus on the face.

f2.8, 1/800 sec, ISO 100

With this shot, I pushed up the exposure time a little so as to freeze the ball mid air.

I think overall, I achieved exactly what I set out to do.  I really enjoy portraiture and love to enhance the images in Photoshop.  I would say I am gradually building up my skills in editing and produce some high quality images.  I can crop, resize, change hue and saturation and do so on a regular basis.
I have had excellent feedback  from my images off my clients and feel I am growing with confidence with every new shoot that I do.

There is always room for improvement even if you are one of the world's leading photographers.  Personally I think I am holding my own at the moment.  I am still learning how to use my camera in manual mode and am growing in confidence doing this.  
I still need to practice taking pictures in strong sunlight and would also like to learn how to use the sun and other ambient lighting to enhance my images by maybe including a sunset in one of my portrait photographs, but this will only come with practice and good weather!



No comments:

Post a Comment