Thursday 28 February 2013

Unit 25 Studio Photography


Over a number of weeks we have been learning of the different light sources, equipment and accessories that go into creating a studio shoot.  These include:

red heads
flash heads
snoot
honeycomb
barndoor
beauty dish
umbrella
soft box

The general aim of artificial lighting is to recreate natural environment and to emphasise shape, form and texture of the subject. 

There are many characteristics of lighting, the most important 3 are brightness, colour and temperature.

  • Brightness - This can be adjusted by using honeycombs, barn doors, in camera settings and by the dials on the flash heads.
  • Colour and temperature - Most light sources used in photography produce white light, the range of frequencies will vary.  These different frequencies will affect the colour temperature of the light.  The higher the temperature the bluer the light.  Nowadays this can be adjusted in RAW settings on computer software.
Other characteristics of lighting are:
  • Direction - The direction and angle of the lighting will determine where the subjects light and shadow will be.
  • Intensity - This can be measured using a light meter and controlled using exposure settings in the camera.
  • Evenness - As the light is moved away from the subject, the intensity decreases and spills out.


In my final 7 images, I  have used a range of light sources and accessories to achieve the final look. 




f/32 1/160 ISO 100 32mm
In this image the light is coming in from the right, I decided to see what the shot would look like from an above vantage point and this is the result.  I really like it.



f/5.6 1/15 ISO 100 40mm
These control pads were placed on a perspex table with a shelf underneath.  After foraging around for something to put with the game on the bottom to add more texture I found some foam padding and some wires which I thought fitted in with the gaming theme.  There was a honeycombed light pointing at the game etc underneath and a flash head homed in on the pads.  
I am very pleased with this outcome.



f/22 1/8 ISO 6400 42mm
I decided to bump up my ISO on this image to 6400 as I was going for the Film Noir look.  I thought maybe a bit of added noise would give the illusion of film grain.  We had a beauty dish pointing from the right onto Agnes and a barn door set up to point on the back drop, Aaron provided the knife! 



f/20 1/160 ISO 6400 60mm
With this image I forgot to reset my ISO from my Film Noir shot above and ended up shooting this image in 6400!  But, I like it and am happy with the final shot, although I will remember to check my ISO at all times in the future!



f/20 1/15 ISO 100 55mm
This was a fairly easy shot to do, I used the beauty dish to point at Chris from the right and it gave a really nice soft look to his skin.



f/8 1/160 ISO 100 40mm
The lighting on this image comes from behind and to the left and is reflected onto the subject with a gold reflector disc.  
This is one of my favourite shots, I like the gold spot in the middle of the plane.



f/10 1/160 ISO 100 44mm
The lights on this flower were coming from the back and side.  I decided to get a fairly close shot so as to see the detail in  the centre of the flower.  Out of the many flower shots I took, this was my favourite, simple yet effective.

Evaluation

I really enjoyed the studio segment, and the shots above go to show the variation of looks that can be achieved with all of the different components involved.  I enjoyed learning how to set up the studio and buying my own equipment and practicing setting it up at home made it easier to do in college.  I am pleased with my final images.  If I was to do anything different it would be to remember to check my ISO everytime as I forgot to check it on one of the pictures and ended up shooting a piece of jewellery in 6400, luckily the mistake actually worked and you can see lots of detail in the metal, but if I was being paid to take the shots, that sort of mistake could be disastrous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment